Helping patients with skin concerns has always been a passion of mine. I have had my own skin-healing journey including dealing with eczema as a child and acne as an adult. Frustratingly, there is often no easy fix and healing the skin requires investigations and treatment both internally and externally. I find this work incredibly rewarding as correcting skin problems can have such a positive impact on how people feel.
The internal stuff
There are so many factors that can affect how our skin looks and feels. Our skin is our largest organ and often a reflection of what is going on inside our bodies. Firstly I address gut health - an unhappy tum will lead to unhappy skin. This often involves stool testing and correcting any dysbiosis (imbalanced gut bugs) and treating parasites. Other big factors include hormone imbalance, insulin resistance, food intolerances, nutrient deficiencies and methylation issues.
The external stuff
I’m very excited to be working with the only corneotherapeutic skin care range, dermaviduals, at Narayani Wellness. dermaviduals has changed my skin and after researching cosmetic chemistry I won’t ever use anything else.
dermaviduals uses only pure ingredients and is completely free of fragrances, preservatives, emulsifiers, colours, mineral oils, silicones and amines. Suited to all skin types, dermaviduals can be used to improve acne, eczema, psoriasis, rosacea, peri-oral dermatitis, sensitive and aging skin. We even have solutions for bubs with cradle cap and nappy rash.
The range is completely customisable which means I can blend both in clinic treatments and home skin care products to suit each of my client’s skin types, and adapt their regime to suit their current skin concerns. Some of my favourite topical actives include grape seed and kigelia liposomes and vitamin A and Boswellia nanoparticles for their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
dermaviduals also have a wonderful Deco range including custom colour match make up that is actually good for the skin!
Some of my top tips for luminous skin
1. Eat real food. It’s true; sugar, alcohol and processed foods are crap for our guts and our skin. A diet full of vegetables, healthy fats (can’t emphasise this enough) and protein is the way to go. These foods are choc full of skin loving essential oils, amino acids, vitamins and minerals to help feed and heal the skin. In clinic I will often supplement a few of the skin essentials and can even apply these topically.
2. Water!! Hydration and detoxification are so important for skin health, and so simple. Aim to drink about 2-3 litres of filtered water daily (tip: your weight in kg x 0.03 = water in litres you should aim for daily, add more if you’re getting sweaty at the gym or the beach).
3. Stress less and sleep well. These are big ones that are often neglected. We live in a crazy hectic world and it can wreak havoc with our hormones – hello pimples. Breathe some deep belly breaths daily and find something you love to help calm you down. My favourites are acupuncture, massage, yoga and meditation.
4. Ditch the toxic skin products. Anything that disrupts the skins natural barrier can impair the function and ability of your skin to HEAL. Even so called “natural” products can be laden with toxins that don’t even need to be listed as ingredients!
5. Get moving in nature. Our lymphatic system needs movement to function. Fresh air and sunshine is great for your skin (do take care in direct sunlight) and getting sweaty is great for detoxification
If you have the basics covered and you’re still not happy with your skin, there’s likely something going on the needs to be investigated. Come and see us in clinic and we can point you in the right direction.
BHSC Naturopathy, PGDIP Dietetics, BSC Human Nutrition
Abi Walker is a warm and empathetic naturopath who combines her passion for skin care with her naturopathic expertise to deliver effective treatments unique to your needs. Her goal is to nurture, heal and transform your skin by treating the cause of your concerns and addressing external and internal factors. Abi has undergone dermaviduals training to provide you with a personalised skin assessment and and treatment plan. She is driven to help you achieve nourished and lustrous skin. Abi’s love for dermadividuals extends beyond a respect for its unique product formulation, but from personal experience from using these products herself.