So far, we have sorted you out with the best toxin-free products to put IN and ON your body, so it's only fitting that we share our favourite products to use AROUND your body. Here are our must-have cleaning brands, products and ingredients we use around our households that are free of all the hidden nasty stuff that can play havoc with your health.
Our #1 tip for successfully changing to a toxin-free home is to do it gradually. Next time you finish one of your current cleaning products, replace it with a healthier, safer alternative. Before you know it, your home and family will be chemical and toxin-free, without feeling a financial sting.
These brands cover ALL your kitchen, laundry, floor, wall, glass and bathroom needs.
- ecostore is a proudly owned New Zealand brand that has your health and the environment as their top priorities. They have all your cleaning needs sorted, from fabric softeners to dishwashing tablets and everything in between.
- abode natural cleaning products have a huge range to address all your household needs. They even offer products in bulk 5L and 5kg quantities which are really cost effective! We love their ginger and lemongrass range.
- Ecover can help you get your dishes clean, bathroom shining and clothes nice and fresh. They even have products to help deal with the big problems of cleaning; limescale and dirty ovens.
- Speaking of tough problems, Cinderella also does a super effective, natural oven and BBQ cleaner.
- We love Resparkle products because they are certified organic (big tick of approval). They even have a range for bubs and little ones and offer a Healthy Baby Home Care Pack.
Say goodbye to air fresheners aka chemical nightmares!
- Try diffusing organic essential oils in an aroma diffuser by Lively Living. With an aroma diffuser, no candles are needed for your home to be filled with the scent of your choice! To add to your diffuser, we love the single or delicious blends from Sacred Self, Perfect Potion or Mt Retour.
- Thursday Plantation has lavender, tea tree and eucalyptus in a spray. Great for scenting the air and disinfecting all types of surfaces.
- Chemical free room spray's and soy candles from Vanessa Megan are delightful. We love the fresh, uplifting combination of mint and citrus. Yum!
- Love the feel and ambience of a burning candle? Northern Light make beautiful beeswax candles, as does Australian Certified Organic Happy Flame.
Cleaning utensils and products.
- Microfibre products by ENJO allow you to clean your home just by adding water. The structure of the fibres allows dirt and grime to lift right off. Their Floorcleaner is their number one best seller, for good reason.
- Full Circle offers the best cleaning utensils including wipes, scrubbing brushes and reusable bottles (for your DIY cleaning products).
Common DIY cleaning product recipe ingredients.
- Look no further than Dr. Bronner's liquid castile soap in scented and unscented varieties.
- Essential oils are mentioned a lot in DIY recipes, especially eucalyptus, lemon, tea tree and lavender. When you visit Sacred Self, Perfect Potion or Mt Retour to get your wonderful scents for your diffuser, you can also pick up your cleaning oils.
- Bicarbonate of soda or baking soda by Bob's Red Mill is our favourite because it is aluminium free. This is also our preferred bi-carb soda for any baking needs.
- Soap berries/nuts are nature's cleaning product, not only are they chemical free, but they are 100% biodegradable!
- Vinegar is also a common DIY ingredient. Organic white vinegar is preferred, but some recipes ask for apple cider vinegar, for which we love Bragg.
Where you can buy these products.
- In addition to providing all of the good stuff we put in our bodies, our favourite organic stores around Melbourne are stockists for most of the products and ingredients we have listed. Thank you Apple and Sage Organic Wholefoods (Balwyn), Terra Madre (Northcote) and Wild Things (Fitzroy). If you live away from these beauties, Shop Naturally has all your chemical-free household cleaning needs online.
We love sharing tips, suggestions and products that can help you live a healthier, happier and cleaner life. Enjoy these amazing products and let us know your favourites!