One of our favourite gut loving recipes is beet kvass. Beet kvass is type of fermented drink, you know, similar to kefir or kombucha. Kvass has so many health benefits and is great for your gut. Due to it's fermentation process it is a wonderful source of probiotics which can help the health of your gut and immune system, it is also rich in antioxidants with is excellent for your liver. Using beetroot is traditionally known for it's blood cleansing properties, in addition to being a great source of nutrients.
Kvass typically has a tangy, salty flavour which can be an acquired taste. Using beetroot also gives it a wonderful earthy flavour. If beetroot isn't your thing, you can use other foods to ferment like fruits (strawberries and raisins) and herbs (mint).
- 2-4 organic beetroot
- 1-2 tsp sea salt or Himalayan salt
- Filtered water
- A few tablespoons whey, dripped from yoghurt or milk kefir (optional)
- 1-1.5 litre glass jar
1. Wash unpeeled beets and chop into large cubes
2. Place beets in a jar and add salt and optional whey (if not using whey add an extra tsp of salt)
3. Fill jar with filtered water, you want to cover the beetroot by at least two inches
4. Seal with lid and leave on the counter at room temperature for 4-7 days to ferment (4-5 days in summer)
5. Transfer to fridge
6. Have about ¼ cup daily on own or dilute with water